Tune-a-Phone

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Fri, 21 Dec 2001 07:56:30 -0500

At 10:29 PM 12/20/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>Terry & all,
>My mentor is into history, (all kinds), but especially piano related stuff.
>What you saw was an add for that "apparatus", as advertised years ago. If my
>memory serves me, it was during the 10's or 20's. My mentor sometimes
>deluges me with copies of the stuff he finds in old books and magazines.
>That thing was in a bunch of ads he sent me a few years ago. Hope this
>clarifies a bit. Also explains the making $5 or $10 a day comment. Who
>knows, maybe someone thinks it's a good gizmo and is making them again.
>(Gawd I hope not.)

Not that particular gizmo but there is a guy making a pickup devise to
market to the great unwashed. I think he's the guy with the automatic tuner
but this unit
incorporates manual dexterity. He hopes that it will be sold with every new
piano so
the owners can tune their own pianos. He claims that QRS is going to sell it.

It has three pickups (one for each string) and I think it magnetically
attaches to the strings.
You have to move the pickups over each unison to tune. A visual display
would indicate
the three strings and register them as bars above or below (sharp/flat)
ground zero.

The unit would be programmed to the IH of that instrument so it is a
dedicated item, accuracy 1c.
He tunes his own pianner with it and he says it sounds real good.

Projected retail price $350.

This would introduce a whole new meaning to tuning stability to the owners
or should I say pin benders.

Hey !  What a great stocking stuffer...

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician