wing nuts revisited

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Fri, 21 Dec 2001 10:40:42 EST

Several months ago I inquired about replacing Steinway cheek block screws
with wing nuts. LaRoy Edwards showed us one at one of our chapter meetings.
But I found out that they are $25 a piece.

Last week I tuned an Essex and Boston at the local Steinway dealer. Those
pianos had hinged wing nuts. So I asked Steinway, and sure enough, they do
have them. According to Kent Webb, they are available for $5 a piece. Order
Boston Part number 092.  Kent says you do have to do some retrofitting, as
the hole in the cheek block will be a little too big. And depending on how
much you want the wing nut to show, you might also want to counter sink where
the wing nut protrudes out from under the piano.

Wim