general poll-please participate

Mickey Kessler markmilo@znet.com
Fri, 21 Dec 2001 11:07:19 -0800

Hi all,
I'm just getting back into the business after a hiatus of nearly twenty
years, and I really appreciate the lively discussion here.  It's wonderful
to run into so many sharing individuals, and so many craftspeople who
really care -- a rare commodity these days, something to be
treasured.  Thank you all.

Anyhow, in answer to the poll...   I learned back in the late 70's using a
Hale Sight-O-Tuner.  I just recently got it (and my other tools) out of
storage and used it to tune just the other day.  It still works fine, mostly.

For those of you who remember, it requires the user to manually check the
stretch on just one note, then use a sort of cardboard slide-rule stretch
calculator, recalibrating as you go.  The result is probably not going to
satisfy a concert pianist, but for the average, family instrument, it's
still okay.  As soon as I can afford a more current model I'll certainly
upgrade.

I aurally do the top octaves though, and check the bass aurally -- mostly
for practice, but also because it can be a slow process using the
Sight-O-Tuner; and it's the way I was originally trained years ago.  I'm
aiming to be able to tune the whole instrument aurally someday.

Incidentally, if there are any on this list in the Los Angeles area who
could use a part-time assistant looking to re-learn and upgrade his skills,
please contact me.  I've just begun the process of joining the PTG, so you
may find me at meetings; or you can contact me via email.

Thanks, all!  and-- happy holidays!

Mickey Kessler
Van Nuys, CA