Sound waves(The behavior of soundboards)

Robin Hufford hufford1@airmail.net
Fri, 21 Dec 2001 22:37:26 -0800

Del,
     The nature of motion itself is, no doubt, one the principal bones
of
contention in this discussion.  In my first post on this question last
Sunday I
went into substantial detail as to what these are - I suggested some of
these
were translation, rotation, and stress.  I used the word disturbance
advisedly
to avoid use of  the already  highly charged term wave.  In answer to
your
question and perhaps, to concede a little to the exasperated proponents
of the
moving bridge theory, if one wishes to advocate that strain or
deformation of
the bridge is motion then, sufficiently qualified,  I  would not dispute
this,
although this seems rather a trifling point. Obviously oscillating
motion on a
molecular level traveling as a wave through a medium  is motion
indeed.  But it is not
the motion of a flexing, rocking bridge, however phrased.  That a stress
wave is a kind
motion, I have never disputed, in point of fact I have argued this kind
of behavior is the
case at the string/bridge interface.    Substantial energy can be so
transferred.  Heat is motion,  although we would not say that a hot pan
sitting
on the table is in motion simply because it is hot.  The pan is at rest.
Similarly, strain is not necessarily motion although indeed molecular
motion
exists. As the case my be strain may or may not be demonstrative of
motion  So
it is with a bridge.   It is not, however, visible perceptible motion
and is not
analogous to that motion which  the end of the string viewed as somehow
moving
up and down or pushing and pulling could be thought of as causing in the
bridge.  I understand how one could think this to be so, I simply think
there is
a better explanation which I have taken great pains to offer.     In my
view, I
believe any such rocking motion, were it to occur to any appreciable
degree,  would be
substantially  detrimental  to the transfer of energy from the string to
bridge.  It is most definitely not necessary to postulate such motion to
account
for energy transfer from string, through bridge to soundboard.  Labelled
however one wishes,  the stress transduction method I described below
can do
just that.

Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

> [...]

to be drawn, however, to those that will contemplate them.    Parts of
> the fork are physically, substantially, moving. Others parts transfer strain
> energy.   Speaking molecularly, as I described above, everything is moving.
> As you hold the fork and move it closer it is obviously moving.  You know, as
> well as I do, that no molecules are jumping the gap.  This is addressed in
> detail above.

> >       Surely, no one would argue should the solenoid model be accepted,
> that is
> > that the string somehow ripples the bridge to any substantial degree,
> that the
> > extinction of sound occuring when a damper is let down onto the strings
> could
> > possibly be the result of what would essentially be the reverse of what
> you and
> > Ron appear to advocate - that the damper is sufficient to operate as a
> > counterweight to a rocking and rolling soundboard, particularly with a
> flexible
> > felt interface moderating  the force and effect of the damper assembly.
>
> Dampers are simply auxillary mass absorbers. They are designed to absorb and
> dissipate vibrating energy from whatever they are applied to.
>
> > It
> > seems far simpler to suppose that the string is, in fact,  driving the
> board  in
> > a manner that does not contain the troublesome questions implicit in the
> > solenoid model; this is the strain transduction  method described above
> and that
> > when the transverse behavior or motion in part is extinguished then so is
> the
> > transduction mechanism that had been driving the board.
>
> I don't find that there are 'troublesome questions' implicit in function of
> the soundboard as I've described it. I don't use the 'solenoid model' term.
> That was invented by someone else.
>
> Del

I'll come back to these troublesome questions later.   As you say the
words
"solenoid model" are not yours, I will, after having re-read one of your
posts
 modify and  offer your  phrase "diaphragm in a loudspeaker".  I think
it is plain, in
the context of the list what both refer to.

Regards, Robin Hufford