Poll

Mickey Kessler markmilo@znet.com
Sat, 22 Dec 2001 09:28:16 -0800

At 09:54 AM 12/22/01 -0700, you wrote:

>>We hear lots from people who go from Aural to ETD tuning.  How many out
>>there have gone from ETD to Aural tuning.  By aural tuning I mean that
>>there is no need or desire to use an ETD.  My vote is one.
>

>Chris.

Hi Chris and group,

As I mentioned in a previous post, I learned on a Hale SOT and still use
it, because I'm just getting back into the business and I can't yet afford
an upgrade.  However, I'm committed to learning to be a good aural
tuner.  My personal feeling, which seems to be supported by the group, is
that no matter how good the machines are, there is just no substitute for
the human element.

The other day I tuned using my SOT with its old stretch calculator, but I
tuned the high end by ear, the low end by machine (4:2 and 6:3).  I just
played the instrument again last night (mostly wanted to test my tuning
lever technique, wanted to see how the pins had stayed) -- to my surprise,
I really liked how the high end sounded, but didn't like the bass.

I still have a lot to learn and an long way to go before I'm any good at
this, but I think learning what to listen for, and then learning to trust
one's ear, is the primary lesson.

Machines are great, but music is about people.

My other reason for learning to be a good aural tuner is strictly a
business one -- what do you do if the damn machine breaks?

Mickey Kessler