Universal Bass String Deadness

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 22 Dec 2001 16:22:05 -0500

I work on an unfortunately high percentage of low-worth pianos whose owners
prefer minimal cost repair/maintenance alternatives. IMHO, when a new bass
string is needed, in situations such as these, universal bass strings are a
sensible choice. Better pianos and more demanding clients get factory or
reproductions from Mapes or wherever. Just had to say that so I don't get
chewed up over the universal bass string use issue. I also splice the old
string back in whenever possible.

Most of the universals I install I would rate as quite acceptable, given the
piano, etc. But perhaps 10% or so that I install sound noticeably dead/dull.
Is this something that I am doing? Is it something about the piano? Or are
these strings soooooo cheap that 10% of them are bad? Any comments?

Terry Farrell