general poll-please participate

owen j. greyling greyco@kingston.net
Sat, 22 Dec 2001 17:43:16 -0500

Hi Terry,

Please do not be offended by my post...........

I read your post this morning while I was enjoying my morning coffee. I sat
here at my desk thinking why?.... Why does this person, hopefully a real
live tuner, want to know what in the world professional tuners do with
ETD's.
There may be, and probably are, a whole host of reasons, but after thinking
about this all day, I think now there is only one. Here it is... You are
probably a "fairly new to this profession" tuner: a struggling aural tuner
looking for support or affirmation from other tuners, as to why they tune
either with or without a machine. If you don't own a ETD, I bet you would
like to, but are still hearing the voices from the past and present that
loudly tell you that you can't be a REAL tuner if you use one. Am I right?

Please don't be offended by my post......

The ongoing question as to which method is better, is really redundant to
most of the clients who buy tunings from all of us.  I'm sure I don't need
to tell you what a really good tuning is, but here's the kicker. Most of
your clients and mine can't tell the difference because when properly done
there is none, or very little difference. To a really good tuner it doesn't
make any difference how you get to that "in-tune"point.
 I have been tuning for twenty four years, sometimes only with a fork,
sometimes 100% electronically, but mostly a combination, picking and
choosing what works best, at each and every tuning.
I carry a SAT III, which, on a good piano, I can tune rings around, and so
can any other aural tuner who has taken the time to properly learn how to
tune. But there are many times that a FAC tuning done right out of the box,
is the best answer to the situation. When I use FAC, I like to leave a
record of the tuning done so that next time I can recreate the exact tuning
and see how well the tuning stood up. Many times grands are more fun to tune
aurally, other times a spinet can be better handled with starting with FAC,
cleaning up measuring intervals,and then tuning aurally after a decent
temperament has been established. Much of the time, I use the tuner in the
measure mode to simply measure the width of intervals already tuned aurally.
An ETD is ONLY a tool, one that any real professional who knows his or her
job, could live without if they had to. I have a number of customers that
have never seen me use "that box" poking out of my kit, simply because I
know what the reaction would be. I'm not there to change the world, I'm
there to tune the piano and that's what I do. I don't tell them that I may
be able to do a better job with that false beating treble if I used a canned
tuning..What does it matter?, I have to be versatile enough to be able to
fill my customers needs, so should all of us. I have other clients who would
probably think I couldn't do the high quality tuning that they have become
accustomed to, if I didn't check the piano using my spinning lights.

If you've read this far, thankyou, and let me conclude with this. Good,
solid aural tuners are not intimidated by ETD's. Some are just not
interested, don't see the point in laying out cash for something they know
they don't need, while others are interested in exploring the possibilities
that an ETD opens up. I for one, look forward to the day when we all realise
that properly tuned pianos occur everyday by many different means and
methods, by people just like you and me who do a job that they either love,
or do to put food on the table. The motivation is different, but the result
is still a tuned piano, just like the ETD/Aural question. The journey can be
different, but the destination is still the same.

If I have completely misread your reason for asking, please forgive my
rant....

Owen.