Bird-Cages/Fogger/Snide remarks

John Musselwhite john@musselwhite.com
Sat, 22 Dec 2001 17:30:23 -0700

At 10:28 PM 12/21/01 +0000, John D. wrote:

 >Brinsmead used underdampers in the 1860's and his patents show
underdampers but
 >he continued to produce overdampers even for very fine pianos until quite
late in the
 >century.

I mentioned this a couple of months ago, but one of the finest upright
pianos I've ever worked on was a Brinsmead Overdamper with the
screw-stringer type tuning arrangements. Not only did it tune very nicely
and had the rather unique tuning pin arrangement, but every piece of felt
or cloth was neatly sewn to the wood to which it was attached, and every
piece of leather had a tiny brass nail in it. All of the "tropicalizing"
work was beautifully done and everything was perfectly aligned. Almost all
of the strings were still original and you could still see the plating on
them. It was generally in excellent condition and was magnificent at this
age so it must have been incredible when it was new.

I really liked the arrangement with the tuning pins. It was much better
than the Mason & Hamlin type, especially when it comes to changing strings
because no knots are involved.

Playability, tuning and damping were perfectly acceptable as well. I took
some snap shots of it, though they aren't developed. If anyone's interested
I'll get them done and if they turn out I'll scan them in and upload them
to the Yahoo Piano-technicians group file area.

                 John

John Musselwhite, RPT    -     Calgary, Alberta Canada
http://www.musselwhite.com  http://canadianpianopage.com/calgary
mailto:john@musselwhite.com    http://www.mp3.com/fatbottom