Birdcage Pianos

Robert Wilson pianotechnicianuk@yahoo.com
Sat, 22 Dec 2001 18:25:28 -0800 (PST)

--- Allegrofinemusic@AOL.COM wrote:
> Thanks Bob
> The Australian climate was brutal on these
> instruments especially Perth where
> for some reason many poms ended up. Some of the
> Brinsmeads had similar
> problems with loose pins, cracked soundboard. I
> suppose that why many people
> did not mind a teenager messing with them.
>
> I would really like to do one up properly for the
> experience.
> Thanks for your oft insightful comments on this list
> Best
> Harry Pickett

Yes, Harry,
I would imagine the Australian climate would finish
these pianos off!  Here, central heating during the
winter months usually brings about their demise.  The
humidity can fall to 25% or less if there is no
humidifier.  Even people that have them get very lazy
about filling them.  The cost of restoration, alas, is
more that the value of the piano would be afterwards -
so only in cases of sentimental attachment by the
owner is a restoration carried out!

Best wishes,

Bob Wilson
London.