P22/gooseneck mini-puzzler w/answer

Tvak@AOL.COM Tvak@AOL.COM
Sat, 22 Dec 2001 23:04:16 EST

Arrived at a new client's house to find a relatively new Yamaha P22.  Before
I even touched the piano, the client told me, "This piano goes out of tune 2
months after it's tuned.  I don't know if it's the piano, or the tuner.
That's why I tried you, to see if it would stay in tune longer with a
different tuner."  So I played a chromatic scale upward from middle C, and
one octave up, at C5 the unison was WAY out.  F5, F#5 also WAY out, but
everything else slightly out of tune to a normal degree.  So I started my
pitch raise, (it was at 437) and when I got to C5, I was surprised to find
that one of the strings was 35 cents sharp.  Same with F5, and F#5.   I
pondered this throughout the tuning as to how or why this could happen.
Flat, I could understand, but sharp?

Anyway, I gave her my bill, took her check, and as always, I said, "I'll put
a card in the bench.  If you need to find me, you'll know where to look."
And when I opened the bench, I had to laugh inwardly, at least.  I knew how
those unisons came to be so out of tune:  in the bench was a gooseneck tuning
lever.  Now, I don't suspect she tuned the whole piano for the overall
tuning, though degraded through time,  was far too good.  I think a unison or
two, perhaps at C5, F5, or F#5 went slightly out and she tried to fix'em.

Another interesting day, and another puzzler solved.

Tom Sivak