Stored Tunings v/s FAC

Tom Servinsky tompiano@gate.net
Sun, 23 Dec 2001 07:10:59 -0500

> I believe that humidity effects require fresh FAC's each and every time in
> my location.

Couldn't help but chime in on this one.  Without a doubt, humidity degrees
will affect the outcome of a tuning. If there is one thing that ETDs have
contributed to our industry it would be the illustration that a single good
tuning you think you created absolutely perfectly, then saved it,then tried
to use it over and over again, will not( and cannot) work day in and day
out.
Humidity changes in the piano yield different results.
I have one concert hall that I have invested at least 15hrs. of
tuning-data-input time. The only problem is that I'm never satisfied with my
saved results, even when I'm sure I imputed  data correctly and my tuning is
complimentary as possible.
I end up tweaking the tuning aurally and after awhile always come to the
conclusion that this is a waste of time.
That's one of the reasons why I went back to aural tuning. The other reason
is it's such a much more enjoyable, satisfying, and ego enticing
experience.
If I'm going to spend time aurally checking and changing, I might as well
start our aurally as well.

The other issue I have with the FAC, and although it is a do-able tuning,
it's not a great tuning...and far from it.
I personally find the results of a FAC tuning not complimentary to most
pianos. Yes, they get one into the ballpark but after that the FAC has to be
tweaked considerably to put it on par with a good aural tuning.
Tom Servinsky,RPT