Universal Bass String Deadness

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 23 Dec 2001 09:53:51 -0500

Now why in the world would a 6 - 8 month-old bass string in a box be =
useless, and a 20 year old bass string on a piano be expected to sound =
reasonably good?

Terry Farrell
 =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, December 22, 2001 8:58 PM
  Subject: Re: Universal Bass String Deadness

  In a message dated 12/22/01 9:23:21 PM !!!First Boot!!!, =
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:=20

    Most of the universals I install I would rate as quite acceptable, =
given the=20
    piano, etc. But perhaps 10% or so that I install sound noticeably =
dead/dull.=20
    Is this something that I am doing? Is it something about the piano? =
Or are=20
    these strings soooooo cheap that 10% of them are bad? Any comments?=20

    Terry Farrell=20

  How old are these strings?  I find that bass strings more than 6 - 8 =
months old are pretty much useless.=20

  Wim=20