Sound waves(The behavior of soundboards)

Robin Hufford hufford1@airmail.net
Sun, 23 Dec 2001 14:59:10 -0800

Ron,

     As you make the claim that the model  you refer to and its implications  which
I think have been repeatedly  advocated by yourself, Del and Ron O. in repeated
postings on this list  is scientifically  grounded, and in fact, I have no doubt it
is, then I suggest we all should proceed to examine the  scientific bases of  this
model and those of  the model of soundboard behavior and their implications which
flow from the concepts of string/bridge energy transfer as suggested by J. Delacour
and myself.       As we have agreed that we disagree as to the nature and degree
of  flexion or motion, if any,  at the bridge/string interface and its implications
then further contention on this point is useless.
     Let us then  proceed in regard to soundboards to  consider the stress/strain
relationships; the nature of the load applied, its vibratory characteristics,  the
deterioration for design purposes, if any;  sound radiation and the possibilities
for sound improvement or deterioration over time.  My conclusions with regard to
this matter,  are quite at odds with and substantially different than those
expressed by the three of you, who have long derided any contrary view in this
forum.
  .  Gentlemen, it may be the case that in undergoing  this proposed examination of
the model you espouse new facts may be suggested  which may suggest, in the
interests of intellectual accuracy,  a reconsideration of the  model upon which
you predicate  your theories.  Please, take no offense.  Or perhaps, we on the
opposing side will, in the same  interests of intellecual accuracy, have to make
such a revision, and even though I think not were that the case it would be far
from offensive to me.  In point of fact were it to improve my understanding then it
were an effort well made.  .
     I have to stress, once again, even though I disagree with you, with Del
Fandrich and with Ron Overs, there is nothing personal in this disagreement -
which is  merely  of  the nature of a clarification of concepts and their
implications, and that in fact I have substantial respect for the ideas of all
three of you, and as I have stated previously, markedly enjoy, even where I
disagree, your posts and the ideas they express.   The posts and ideas submitted by
you three  are a pleasure to read and understand and the posts, generally, are
among that small percentage  of those on the list I save for further reflection.
Please take no offense at the coming formulations and criticisms  of the model
apparently espoused by the three of you and the subsequent discussion.which is
likely to ensue.  It may well   likely be more bruising to the ego of us all  than
those of the last week.  We, and certainly me,  must all strive to sever the nexus
of emotions and ideas and take what I said earlier, point and counterpoint,
argument and counterargument, as the basis for a further progress in our own
understandings, restraining  our own natural emotional reactions when criticism of
deeply  held beliefs may be encountered.  As I have said before, such I think is
the utility of this list.
     A month or so ago, in a post entitled Confessions of a Soundboard Heretic, a
number of, again "troublesome questions"
were implicit and should have been evident to any proponent  of your model.  No
notice was taken by its advocates who apparently did not wish to be troubled by any
of these issues.  As it was  however,   J.Delacour, Richard Brekne, and somewhat
later, Dale Erwin, offered reasonable observations that the model and its
implications, propounded and ardently offered as the only possible description of
the utility,  and function  of soundboards,  could possibly be in question, or at
the very least contain troubling inconsistencies needful of examinations.   The
press of business precluded me from further postings on the subject  at the time.
I intend to revist these implications and "troublesome questions"  but would first
ask any of you to be so generous as to  take the time to post a  brief description
of  the characteristics of your model, even though the archives are full of this
material, so that I could understand it better.  How does it work?
Regards, Robin Hufford .