Rocking bridges

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Mon, 24 Dec 2001 10:55:36 +0000

At 9:49 PM -0600 12/23/01, Ron Nossaman wrote:

>Fully strung piano, up to pitch. A beam spanning the rim, with a
>laser pointer mounted to it instead of a dial indicator. ...It's not
>much, but the bridge rocks forward each time. The higher the
>ceiling, the greater the movement and the easier to see.

For some reason, a message I posted yesterday to the list did not
return to my mailbox, so I've sent it again.

This message shows a model that demonstrates very simply, without
lasers or pianos, exactly the phenomenon you are talking about, about
which there is no argument. Any continuous force, however slight,
acting on a system in equilibrium will, by well-known physical laws,
cause that system to change position until an equal and opposite
force is encountered.

I have said from the outset and have been forced to repeat numerous
times, in response to suggestions that I have denied it, that the
movement of the bridge occurs.  By the same token the bridge in
rocking will obey the same physical laws.  How can you still pretend
that there is any argument about this.

My model was designed so that those unfortunate people without lasers
and mirrors could see for themselves what it is not possible to see
with the naked eye and furthermore carry out tests that would be
impossible on a strung grand without highly sophisticated measuring
equipment:

At 10:51 PM +0000 12/23/01, John Delacour wrote:
>To simplify things I thought it would be a good idea to eliminate as
>far as possible any impediment to the bridge's rocking, such as the
>tension of the other strings and the fixing to the soundboard, so
>the drawing above shows a string (s) of some material stretched
>between two pins (p) and passing over a bridge (b) that is curved at
>the bottom to allow it to rock and roll. The string (s) cannot slide
>over the bridge top.  Out of the top of the bridge comes a needle
>(n) that ends in a pointer (a) running round a scale (d).  Clearly
>if pressure is applied to the string at s or anywhere, the pointer
>(a) will move clockwise as the bridge (b) rocks and will return to
>zero when the pressure is released.  The base can be considered
>anything fairly rigid and is not pertinent to the design; it is in
>no way to be considered a representation of a soundboard.

This description is precisely what you are describing.

My model does not involve the soundboard; in fact up to now I have
not been concerned with the soundboard, as I have also repeated.

At 11:37 AM -0600 12/16/01, Ron Nossaman wrote:
>In making a bridge super stiff, it can be made too massive, which
>can negatively affect the system. ... The diaphragm action is
>primarily cross grain to the panel ...
>... I see a string with an (initially) vertically oriented transverse wave
>... physically moving the bridge, which physically moves the
>soundboard, which physically moves the bridge, which physically
>moves all of the strings in the system.

No experienced piano technician can be unaware of the fact that the
degree of rigidity of the system is crucial, as we know from numerous
practical proofs.  If the bridge(/soundboard) were totally rigid, all
the sound of the string would be reflected at the bridge and we would
hear nothing but the 'unamplified' sound produced by the air the wire
compresses.

But you claim and have claimed all along that the transfer of the
sound from string termination to soundboard is achieved by "physical
movement" of the components, that the movement initiated by the
string sets up a correlate movement of the bridge and hence of the
soundboard.

I have had to say again and again that the movability, flexibility,
non-rigidity, call it what you will, of the bridges and the
soundboard has never been at issue.  Bring in the bridge-pins too if
you like; there will be no argument.

Since there seems to be a problem getting the message containing the
gif to the list, here are URIs for the images:

First picture: <http://www.pianomaker.co.uk/images/rocbrig1.gif>
Second picture: <http://www.pianomaker.co.uk/images/rocbrig2.gif>

A length of rubber band or elastic can be stretched over the bridge
as the string and this can be weighted with a bit of metal or split
shot to allow a lower vibration frequency to be produced.  When the
'string' is excited, it will vibrate transversally, whether
vertically or horizontally or both is immaterial.  At the same time
the bridge will rock as its equilibrium is disturbed by the strings
movements, tension changes etc.  The pointer will describe an arc on
the dial as this happens.

It will become immediately clear that the frequency at which the
bridge rocks bears no relation at all to the frequency at which the
string is vibrating or to any of its partials.  In the second picture
you will see that I have fixed a weight to the needle, and it is
hardly necessary to say that this will alter the frequency of the
bridge's rocking, just as the weight of a metronome.  Any number of
different devices could be used to lower or raise the period of the
bridge's motion, but the frequency of the vibrating string will
remain within a constant range, experiencing unpredictable
fluctuations, of course, as a result of the bridge's moving.

Now I ask you or Del or Ron O. or anyone to explain to me how this
movement (in this case rocking movement) can be in any way
instrumental in the production of sound waves at the frequency of the
vibrating string.

JD