Bass String Splice

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Mon, 24 Dec 2001 15:05:13 +0000

At 11:20 AM -0500 12/23/01, Billbrpt@AOL.COM wrote:

>If I want to order a replacement for a string I am replacing and the
>dimensions are not known, I measure the adjacent string carefully
>and supply the figures to the string winder.  In most cases, you'll
>have to insert an offset figure into measurements of an adjacent
>string:  the Hitchpin to start of winding will be different but the
>core diameter, outside diameter, and winding length will be
>identical.  Make measurements carefully!

It is also important to tell the string-maker the note number.  It is
no use getting an exact copy for a string that has broken if that
string was designed to break in the first place, as is quite often
the case.  The stringmaker ought to be able to calculate what the
working tension of the string was and reduce its mass if this was too
high.  Breakages due to excessive tension are most common in the top
singles and the top bichords.

A good proportion of the replacements I am asked to make are for
strings that have broken through excessive tension.  These come
either from old pianos that were strung with stronger wire than is
now available and hang on for decades without breaking but finally
give up, or from plain mediocre pianos that were never properly
scaled, including several makes of brand new piano.

The bass strings of a well-scaled piano will last at least 100 years
without breaking.  I am working on two such pianos at the moment and
there has never been a broken string or a loose wrest-pin on either.

The primary cause of breaking strings is bad design and practically
no amount of hammering on a well made piano will cause strings to
break.  Hammer for a few weeks on a Hyundai and you'll break several
strings.

If one of a pair of bichords needs to be replaced, there should be no
problem with matching so long as the new string is precisely made,
and after a week or two of use the two strings will blend perfectly.
This time is needed for the molecules of the steel and copper to
settle down and an improvement in tone will take place over this
period.  The fact that the strings sound mis-matched when the new
string is first put on is nothing to worry about.  That said, it is
always best to replace all the strings of a unison and always if it
has been necessary to reduce the tension.