Rocking bridges

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Mon, 24 Dec 2001 13:44:47 -0600

> What's the answer to the question?  You must inadvertently have missed it.
> It's getting a bit of a habit.
>
> At 10:55 AM +0000 12/24/01, John Delacour wrote:
>

>> Now I ask you or Del or Ron O. or anyone to explain to me how this movement
>> (in this case rocking movement) can be in any way instrumental in the
>> production of sound waves at the frequency of the vibrating string.

I answered it John. The bridge moves the soundboard. The soundboard displaces
air. The rocking is only one of the movements the bridge imparts to the
soundboard. I've already said that plenty of times. Who cares what it provides
to the sound? I don't, beyond the fact that it happens since as I've said, I
don't have the equipment to measure and separate individual effects, so I can't
make use of these specific individual effects. Any unsubstantiated conjecture
on the effect of the rocking bridge is useless to me and pointless. It
obviously moves the board, so it will obviously contribute something to the
sound. I don't know what the contribution of this movement is to overall tone,
precisely, any more than you do. Nor have I claimed to. If you actually have a
point to this, you'll have to try to make it yourself. The string moves the
bridge both in a pistonic and rocking motion and the bridge moves the board.
I've said this. I think I have adequately demonstrated that this is the case.
What other claims have I made along these lines?

I still haven't seen that URL describing your hypothesis of the soundboard
moving before the bridge that you demanded of me and my theory, nor have I seen
any refutation of my illustrations of my claim. Since it has now been obvious
to you all along that the string moves the bridge and the bridge moves the
board, I think it's about time that you either produced your proof of your
original claim or conceded the point.

Ron N