Rocking bridges

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Tue, 25 Dec 2001 22:25:53 +0000

At 11:01 AM -0600 12/24/01, Ron Nossaman wrote:

>The only persistent confusion I've seen here is a disagreement of what
>moves when and what moves it, not whether or not anything moves at all.
>We've already dealt with that and, I had assumed, corrected any
>misunderstandings. Yes, everything still moves. If we're not talking about
>the same thing here and haven't been through this whole thread, I'd like to
>know that now please. If we are talking about the same thing, then we have
>been far beyond that point for some time. To bring you up to date, the
>current question I'm dealing with is whether a string displacement in the
>speaking length of a piano can rock the bridge.

Well to bring _you_ up to date, Ron Nossaman, it was I who
deliberately _started_ this thread with a statement of what we were
arguing about so that there would be absolutely no doubt about it.

The basis of the discussion is the view expressed by you and Del and
Ron Overs of the way the piano produces sound, which I print now
below for the third time in red.

At first you pretended to ignore my request; at the second time of
asking, in red,  you refused to confirm it and at 2:00 PM -0600
12/23/01 wrote:

>Nor is there any reason for me to. With you maintaining that a
>string deflected by a finger will move the bridge but one deflected
>by a hammer strike won't, I see no point in continuing.

And nevertheless you _are_ now continuing with your own agenda,
twisting and turning as ever and trying to get free by making a lot
of noise about irrelevancies and refusing to confirm or deny that you
stand by the views below.

Either these are your views or they are not.  If you say they are
not, then you and your friends have quite a lot of words to eat.  In
any case, that is the basis of this discussion.

JD