Stored Tunings v/s FAC

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Tue, 25 Dec 2001 10:04:48 -0700

"I don't really fully understand what is the point in this thread regarding
canned vs. FAC vs. inharmonicity changes. I don't think it really matters
which you use because you should always be listening and adjusting to make
your ears happy. I test a bunch of octaves right after doing my FAC or using
the FAC that I had last time and determine my major Double Octave Beat
offsets right off before I even start tuning. But I guess I feel that
regardless of what ETD you use, you will have to have some means of
evaluating the calculated tuning and then making whatever adjustments may be
appropriate.

Terry Farrell"

    Terry, I don't usually use the stored tunings except for a couple which
work well on spinets. Adjusting as you go is one thing that I've been doing
for years, and to my way of thinking gives me a result which is far more
even and uniform than anyone can do with just their ears, (Flame suit
on,,,,,,). But what if the width of the temperament octave is all wrong for
the piano you're trying to tune with that canned tuning? Then you're going
to find yourself fighting the machine trying to make everything fit. If I'm
using a FAC, I can just go back and enter a lower or higher value for A, and
change the width of my temperament till it gives me what I want. Of course,
I'm using a SAT 11, so I don't have a DOB thingee, and have to do it all on
the fly, which is no problem. If I were to buy a SAT 3, the main reason
would be for the historical tuning feature.

Kevin E. Ramsey
ramsey@extremezone.com