Steinway Backcheck Dimensions

Maxpiano@AOL.COM Maxpiano@AOL.COM
Wed, 26 Dec 2001 19:54:51 EST

List,

I ordered "Steinway Style" backchecks from Schaff for a 1890's vintage S&S B
and find the new parts (Tokiwa) are 1/4" longer than the old.   Should I
screw down to match the height (top) of the old backchecks, match the
bottoms, or in between?  I seem to recall reading about some recommended
modification (Journal?) that leaves the hammers checking higher.  I just
don't want to waste time experimenting if someone on the list would be kind
enough to steer me straight!

Bill Maxim, RPT
Maxim Piano Service
212 Newpark Place