talc

Dave Nereson dnereson@dimensional.com
Sat, 29 Dec 2001 03:57:50 -0700

<<Question:  Where do you get unscented talc?  You gotta admit the baby
powder
smells good.  If the scent is so problematic, why don't the babies complain?
I've thought that those that caution about additives just have to find
something to criticize.  Like the environmentalists who can find something
wrong with everything.>>

I agree -- I find it hard to believe that the amount of "scent" in baby
powder is enough or strong enough to damage anything -- all you do is
sprinkle a little on the areas where the keyframe contacts the keybed
(usually just the front and back rails), rub it into the wood, then wipe the
excess off with a rag.  The amount left is negligible, but being a purist, I
went and got some unscented talc at a scientific and chemistry supply store.
When I retire, there will still be enough in the bottle for entire careers
of several technicians.
    Under the glide bolts, since there's usually already graphite there,
that's what I use, but I rub a pencil on the spot or use graphite powder,
not "graphite grease".
    P.S.  Babies complain all the time, but about other substances in their
diapers.
    --David Nereson, RPT,  Denver