in tune, perfection

Robert Wilson pianotechnicianuk@yahoo.com
Sat, 29 Dec 2001 17:57:08 -0800 (PST)

--- Clyde Hollinger <cedel@supernet.com> wrote:
> OK, my friends, this subject line motivated me to
> write something I've been
> turning over in my mind for several weeks.  Will the
> art of tuning as we know it
> today ever be surpassed in accuracy?  Or, if it
> could be, is there any point in
> seeking greater accuracy, given the limits of pianos
> and human hearing?  Perhaps
> we have reached the upper limit.  Is that right or
> wrong?
>
> I am tempted at this point to write why I think this
> might be the case, but what
> are your thoughts?  Please note that I am talking
> about the profession as a
> whole, not the need for each individual technician
> to continue honing his/her
> own skills.
>
> Regards,
> Clyde

An interesting question, Clyde.  However, as tuning is
an art and we are human beings, we are probably all
striving for perfection (and likely never quite
attaining it) and we are never quite satisfied, always
thinking it could be better - and we must never lose
that!  Remember, the perfect piano has not yet been
made and no two pianos are exactly alike - so life
remains interesting.

Bob Wilson.
London