Piano Rims (rambling post)

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sun, 30 Dec 2001 09:04:09 -0600

>Does this mean that you modify the bracing on
>your pianos?  Many pianos seem to have no bracing
>along the straight side.  And many seem to have
>all belly rail support concentrated in one spot,
>and in a spot that I might think it's not so
>important that it be stiff.

Yes. The bass cutoff bar adds bracing to the long side, and another cross
brace can be added too if I think it needs it. There is usually a
considerable span of un braced belly rail through the mid treble. Since
part of the idea in doing these redesigns is to fix the many killer octave
associated problems,  I put one there too. I use maple for the cutoff bar,
but usually a softer wood for the bracing.

>Actually I was thinking more of a theoretical rim
>which is not massive at all but is more like a piece
>of sheet metal bent around in the shape of the
>board perimeter.
>It would be so light and flexible that it couldn't
>absorb any energy.  The opposite of the conventional
>thinking which is make it massive and stiff so it
>won't absorb energy.  Well, how about make it so
>light and so flexible that it can't absorb energy?
>
>Phil F

It wouldn't terminate the soundboard perimeter then either, and I would
think it would quickly use up the available soundboard energy in flailing
about, even though the plate mounting would probably necessarily add some
stiffness. That's why I said I thought rim mass and stiffness was about
control. The more interacting variables there are in a dynamic system, the
less predictable and controllable is the product.

Ron N