ratchet tuner

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 31 Dec 2001 08:31:10 -0500

Hey, it takes all types. I am in the middle of installing my wife's =
Christmas present stereo in her car. I've spent about 16 hours on it so =
far, and likely have another 10 hours or so to go. I wonder what a pro =
might charge me to do the job. Go figger. Some folks just like to jump =
in and take a whack at it. Besides I get brownie points from my wife for =
doing it!

Terry Farrell
 =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Clyde Hollinger=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, December 31, 2001 7:14 AM
  Subject: Re: ratchet tuner

  There are these hardy pioneer types who want to do themselves =
everything they possibly can.  I used to be one of them, out of =
financial necessity.  Nowadays, if I think my D-I-Y jobs will be =
substandard, I am more prone to tune some extra pianos and use that =
money to pay someone to come in and do the work for me.=20
  On Dec. 21 I did something that is a little out of the ordinary for =
me.  I actually invited help from the client!  But the job was replacing =
elbows with the Vagias snap-on type, so you know a good bit of the work =
can be done by a non-technician.  My beginning helper was a pleasant =
strapping 19-year-old guy who was home for the holidays.  The mom and a =
younger boy helped for a while, too.  I think we all enjoyed the =
process, and they probably saved about fifty bucks.=20

  Happy New Year, everyone!=20

  Regards,=20
  Clyde Hollinger, RPT=20
  Lititz, PA, USA=20

  Bigeartb@AOL.COM wrote:=20

    /Dear List:=20
    I' m  sure all of you have already had this experience but for me =
....this is a first. I tuned my first piano for a lady whose husband had =
worked six hours with a socket and ratchet attempting to tune her piano =
because I charged too much money. She told me after six hours of =
flustration he said to her, "call that tuner. It'll be the best money I =
ever spent".  I pulled strings up.... I pulled strings down.....I then =
tuned it twice....It sounded really....really good. It cost him more =
money...She's happy...He's happy...and so am I.=20
    I love my job ....cause I' m good....Now he knows how good I really =
am.=20
    Tommy Black=20
    Birmingham, Ala