Chickering rebuild -- touchweight.

David Love davidlovepianos@hotmail.com
Thu, 01 Feb 2001 04:26:43 -0000

David S.:

I would tend to agree with you that all things being equal, we should
improve.  However, there is all too often an underlying reality--cost.  I
would love it if my customers would give me their pianos and a blank check
but that rarely happens.  Most of the time I am working within tight
parameters and must present cost benefit anaylses that resonate with the
customers needs and means.  I agree that many of these old small Chickerings
would benefit tonally from a heavier hammer.  But as you know, throwing a
heavier hammer on there starts an unstoppable chain of events that must be
seen through to the end if one wants to avoid a touchweight disaster.  Given
that these are the restrictions under which I often find myself, I sometimes
opt to try and reproduce as closely as possible the original design making
small modifications where possible.  In the case of the Chickering I have
mentioned, using a slightly forward knuckle position, a lighter shank and a
slightly heavier hammer allows me to maintain the original leading pattern
(3, 2, 1) and keep the inertia to a minimum and gain some tonal benefit from
a slightly heavier hammer.

David Love