Key leveling for dummies

Meyer Carl cmpiano@home.com
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 22:14:03 -0800

I've just been nominated as the secretary of key leveling.  Haven't been =
confirmed yet, but I must tell you that the written questions could be =
construed as the  politics of personal destruction.  No! I don't hire =
illegals to do my key leveling.  It might be a good idea, though.  I =
could always count on a pardon if I can get the right attorney.

I'm a devout divider, not a uniter, so it is no surprise that I might =
disagree.  Just joking , of course.

Yes, I market a key leveling system, not really a device.

I've given several local technicals about key leveling and I always wait =
for the question or comment  " S &S crowns their keys by 1/16 so your =
system won't work"  Here's my scripted response.  "Steinway seems to =
think that since the center is played more that after awhile the keys =
will be level.  That sounds impressive at first, but after giving it =
some thought=20
You realize that misadjusting something hoping that wear will correct it =
is wishful thinking.  I've concluded that it's really a dumb thing to =
do.  However if you think Steinway knows more about it than I do, what =
can I say?

That was before I knew why they do that.  I had a long discussion with =
Kevin Stock of s&s and he explained that they crown the keybed by maybe =
1/16 or so (not really a fixed amount).  Then the keyframe is reverse =
crowned a similar amount, so that when the action is clamped with the =
cheek blocks there will be a spring loaded contact between the two for =
reliable key bedding.  That is the only reason for the crown.  I still =
think it is a dumb idea.  Maybe that's one of the bright ideas that =
causes the Steinways to bring prices three times what other quality =
pianos do.  No other pianos that I know of use that feature.

Now if you can visualize what we have here, If you clamp the Steinway =
action to a flat table and level the keys anyway you like, when you put =
it in the piano and TaDa!! it has the same crown as the keybed =
automatically.  Yes I'll admit you may have to touch up the level after =
it's in the piano, but it's less work than if you weren't close to start =
with.  Really now, isn't it a little silly to crown both surfaces when =
just the key frame would have done the job?  Gotta justify that extra =
cost you know. Advertising has to finesse the uninformed somehow.

I'll tell you a little about my system.  First, I've heard every idea in =
the book about how to prop up the end keys.  None of them work.  They =
may be fool proof, but fools are so ingenious your mileage may vary.  I =
bore a hole just in front of the green punching of note 1 and 88 with a =
no. 18 drill and screw in a capstan.  This will adjust the reference and =
won't move.  The straight edge is a 48 inch aluminum scale. (Sorry Tom =
Cole , its not steel)  I cut 1/4 inch off each end since some keyboards =
are less than 48 inches. Some are almost 49.  Slots in the end of the =
straight edge allow you to adjust the end blocks to fit. A double sticky =
block of wood is put on the end keys to position the bar over the front =
rail pins. This insures the position is repeatable.  Since all pianos =
are different leveling is done by eyeball.  Then dip is set by using a =
tapered wedge calibrated at 3/8 inch for "zero" with ten thousands inch =
graduations plus or minus.

The bar can then be turned end for end and  used for leveling and dip =
setting for the sharps.  It will automatically be 1/2 inch higher.  =
Reset the reference if you don't like 1/2 inch.

I made a 45 min video of the key leveling procedure, but since I'm such =
a bad actor and it shows my bald spot so clearly, I only provide it with =
the kit.

For those interested in the development:

About 20-25 years ago when I started to ""Mess around with pianos""  I =
thought key leveling was the dumbest, most boring job I could think of =
and I got carried away spending al least a week trying to come up with a =
better way.  I used the prototype for about 15 yrs.  and finally refined =
the design and took it to a So. Calif. convention.  I'd decided if I =
sold 5 I would be encouraged.  All day Friday I sold a couple of =
screwdrivers.  All day sat I sold a couple more screwdrivers.  Sunday =
morning I sold "5".
I've now sold about 50 of them.  Still not rich, so I've lost my =
enthusiasm for the marketing part. I still love to make tools.  I gave a =
class on "Make your own tools" at the 2000 Ca. conv.  I showed slides =
for 1 and 1/2 hrs about tools and gadgets I've made and used for years =
that I have no desire to market.
I've considered making it into a video tape.  I might just do it if =
there is enough interest.  Everytime I get the urge to do a good deed, =
though, I take a nap till the urge passes.  I always remember what =
Marsha Warfield
said " I used to be a virgin till I found out there was no money in it".

Happy key leveling.

Carl Meyer=20
 =20