new ivory info

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 17:31:16 -0500

>I thought it was illegal to sell ivory, new OR used, so as not to
>encourage the killing of whales to feed the market. What's the story?
>
>Charles

It's illegal to import ivory if it doesn't have the proper
documentation indicating its legal status (for example, I believe
some Indian ivory is legal because it's harvested from domesticated
elephants dying of natural causes). Ivory already already in the US
is under no particular regulation (that I know of).

Patrick