Down-Bearing for Old Board ESTEYaND RODS

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 4 Feb 2001 08:58:04 -0500

I don't understand your basis for saying "The crown is maintained by the
ribs, regardless of rim movement." If the board (and ribs) initially have a
crown, and the rim is absolutely rigid - no possible movement (foot-thick
titanium - whatever), it would seem to me that you could load several
hundred pounds on the board and it should stay crowned for a few hundred
years at least - even it were a compression crowned board. For the board to
collapse, the ribs (assuming they and/or the board are glued to the rim and
have NO movement) would have to compress in the long direction enough for
the rib to be straight. Obviously it would not be so hard for the board to
compress a bit perpendicular to the grain, but the ribs? I guess they would
not have to compress a whole lot. Can they compress enough? They would have
to, would they not?

But certainly if the rim did spread out a bit, it would tend to flatten the
board. So I should think the rods would help maintain crown. Yes? No?

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com