bars

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Sun, 4 Feb 2001 21:21:17 -0600

>Keith:
>By that ratiocinated logic, then everything was made to be removed; why,
>those 5/8" lag bolts look easy as pie to take out!
>Paul Revenko-Jones

Paul, List,

Your logic does have some merit to a point.

However, and specifically, I would disagree to the example you have used.
Removing a lag bolt would not be as easy as pie in comparision to removing
the slot head machined bolt holding the bar in question.

>In all seriousness, analysis of the tension structure of the plate would lead
>me to believe that removal under full tension is a poor idea.

With all due respect and not trifling or jesting, Paul, I certainly have no
issue with you, or anyone else, from extrapolating such a belief.  Such a
thing just never entered my mind, and still doesn't.

>I would check
>with Bob Beck in NJ; he's the resident know-it-all on plate manufacture and
>design.

Having attended Bob's classes and briefly meeting him in the past, I would
concur with you on his vast understanding on plate manufacture.  However,
consulting with him in this particular matter would serve no purpose for me.

I simply cannot yield to the notion that removing *that* particular bar for
damper work, or for the performance of certain pieces, in any way
jeopardizes the structural integrity of the plate, especially after
personally having experienced such an activity firsthand on two different
pianos.

Sincerely,

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician