Touchweight quick fix (was Re: jiffy leady)

David Love davidlovepianos@hotmail.com
Mon, 05 Feb 2001 08:51:12 -0000

Ken:  I assume you have a grand piano???  If the leading pattern is not
excessive in one direction or the other, i.e, three leads in the bass, two
in the tenor, one in the treble, or thereabouts, and assuming the piano has
not excessive wear problems or weaknesses in the repetition springs, as a
very quick fix, and one which is easily reversible should you opt for a more
comprehensive redesign approach later, you can simply attach small or large
binder clips to the shanks.  Get them at an office supply store, or if you
are unsure, you can order them from pianotek.  Lubricate the action
thoroughly to try and even out the friction component (if the centers are
sloppy repin where needed) and using gram weights add the clips and position
them in or out until you get the desired weight.  You will have to reset the
repetition spring so you might try a few in each section first to be sure
the the spring has sufficient strength.  Once the clips are on, of course,
remove the wires.  You can do the job very quickly this way and the clips
will stay in place.

David Love

---Okay David Stanwood; I know you're out there lurking; go easy on me---