Termites!

Kdivad@AOL.COM Kdivad@AOL.COM
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 17:41:13 EST

In a message dated 02/05/2001 4:33:13 PM Central Standard Time,
pryan2@the-beach.net writes:

> Terry,
>
> I had a piano (Baldwin 6 ft Grand) in Miami that is/was infested with
> termites.  It is in the balcony of a church with a spiral staircase so the
> piano had to be placed in the balcony  with a front loader fork lift when it
> was put there during renovation last year. All the pews were removed at that
> time.  Now it cannot be taken down for fumigation without removing pews and
> cracking floor tiles with a fork lift.   The termite company will fumigate
> any piano in their chamber for about $75 if you transport it there.   For
> about ten times that amount they will come to the church and tent the piano
> (only), but since they  use Vicane gas, by law, the church must be vacated
> for 48 hours.  This is a Catholic church, open 365 days and so this is not
> an option.  Instead of tenting the piano,  the termite company opted for
> needle injecting a poison in the piano where they see termite "tracks."  We
> are waiting to see if this will be successful.
>
> The way we were told to check for active termites was to collect the
> droppings.  If they were brown and dry, they were old and a sign of dead and
> "former" termites, If they were white and moist, termite were still active.
>
> I know of a tech who had a piano with suspected termites in his shop.  He
> took it apart and sprayed everywhere with bug killer.  Ruined the piano (oil
> based) and did not rid the termites.  Eggs hatched and it started all over.
>
> Sorry for rambling on,  Hope this helps a little.
>
> Phil Ryan
> Miami Beach

Terry, you know there is a possibility that these critters are not even
termites, there are several species of beetles such as powder post beetles
which can do the same damage, a good pest control man can tell you what you
have.
David Koelzer
DFW