Pathetic Monster Piano

David Stanwood dstanwood@hotmail.com
Tue, 06 Feb 2001 13:45:37 -0000

Dear Terry,

In regards to selling your customer a Precision TouchDesign job (Stanwood
action work..).  The first thing to do would be to determine the levels of
this actions touch weight components.  I'm willing to bet, based on what
you've shared with us is, that the hammers are too light and too hard.  What
I consider too light for a Concert Hall grand is anything in medium or low
strike weight zones.  Harder hammers sound better when they are in the High
zone.

http://www.stanwoodpiano.com/sw-zones.jpg

You mention that this piano might be at perhaps 25% of it's potential. Based
on the enormous amount of data that my associate technicians send me, I've
come to the conclusion that most pianos are at some fraction of their output
due to underweight hammers.

For instance, we just had a brand new Steinway D in our shop and it felt
fine but the sound was not broad and powerful.  It turned out that the
Strike Weights were mid medium zone!  So we weighted up the hammers by as
much as 2.5 grams bringing it to the upper full zone and to a smoothly
scaled specification.  This made for an incredible improvement to the tone,
but of course the action became heavy.  So that was solved by moving in the
capstan line by a specified amount, adding adjustable helper springs to the
wippens, and individually scale balancing each key to a smooth scaled Front
Weight, using the patented process. This created an action with balance
weights in the mid 50's (Down weights in the high 60's).  Finally we hooked
up the helper springs and adjusted the final balance weight to 35g, classic
Steinway, by turning the touch regulating screw, ending up with final down
weights in the high 40's.

Loose bridge pins?  ... Bad news... That needs to be addressed.

David C. Stanwood