Sostenuto regulation

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 19:18:04 -0500

>Patrick,
>I went looking through my printed e-mail stuff and found this from
>Newton Hunt, posted on 5/24/99 to pianotech:

<SNIP>

>2	Set damper lever block so pedal raises dampers to the same
>height as sharps.

Dear Jon,
Thanks so much for forwarding the procedures to me. Although I spent
a long time poking through the archives I failed to find this rather
clear approach.
Earlier this afternoon (before reading your post) I dragged another
tech (who had just spent 2 years at the local S&S dealership) along
with me, and he was equally stumped! As he was declaring complete
surrender he suggested "Lets call the factory."
Once we got John Patten on the line he mentioned (aside from all the
things that we had tried) the one thing we had neglected -- the
damper stop rail! It had worked its way up too high, and without it
being in its proper place, the sostenuto & dampers were totally
messed up. Once it was lowered to proper specs the sostentuto worked
perfectly!
Thank god for tech support!

Patrick