gnewll/dyna2/veneer

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Tue, 06 Feb 2001 22:04:25 -0500

gutlo wrote:

> List,
>
> Greg Newell recently raised the issue of veneer lifting with Dyna2 paint
> remover.
>
> Dyna 2 does not lift veneer.  It doesn't even soften, much less remove
> glue.  I tested it by applying a thick coat of it on an old substrate that
> had the veneer peeled off.  After 4 hours, the glue was completely
> unaffected.

I don't dispute your findings but I wonder, could the fact that the stripper
was on the lid for over an hour account for the loosening? I did check for
loose veneer before beginning and found one patch on the main piece but it was
just a corner of it. The veneer that came off was edge banding where the grain
runs perpendicular on the edge. I have tried to describe that before but
perhaps I was not too clear. Since the stripper remained wet and thus , so was
the wood for over an hour, could this not account for the problem?

--
Greg Newell
Greg's Piano Forté