Grey Market

Anthony G Caught caute@bigpond.com
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 21:37:12 +0930

Keith, Brian and List

There is nothing worse than believing what you read in SALES PROMOTION
MATERIAL and saying that it is true.

Keith, read between the lines, then tell me that
1. You do not have a climatic condition somewere in the USA that is not the
same as the Japanese climate ?
2. That because Yamaha makes pianos specifically for the American climate
(USA does cover Florida, Alaska and Nevada I hope) I take it that what they
are saying is Yamaha makes THREE pianos for the American climate.
3. Why is it that all the other piano manufacturers don't make pianos for
different climates. Is a piano made in Europe only good in Europe. Would you
classify a Schimmell or a Bosendorfer or a Bechstein or or or as being grey
market pianos because they are not built for the American climate ?
4. When Yamaha makes a statement like "THE PIANOS WE MAKE FOR THE JAPANESE
MARKET ARE INFERIOR TO THE EXPORT PIANOS"     Then I will believe that pigs
can fly.
5. This grey market piano rumor was more than likely started by Yamaha USA
or Yamaha AUSTRALIA or Yamaha whereever because the sale of these "imported"
pianos is affecting there sales.

Brian and List

These pianos are in most cases pianos from pratice rooms throughout Japan.
These practice rooms are used 24 hours per day, students book time to play
them. They are serviced regularly and climatic conditions are maintained.
They have just had a lot of use, and they are still good pianos. Policy
states that these pianos are to replaced on a planned basis.
There are also a lot of privately owned pianos included in those imported.
The Japanese attitude is "if it is ten years old, it's old" These pianos
have not been maintained properly nor have they been stored in the ideal
climatic conditions so I guess you are going to get a mixed bunch.

But we are piano technicians, we should know what we see, say what we can
prove and not pass on rumor, inuendo and other BS we should know better.

Flame suit time but think before you answer.

Tony Caught
Australia
caute@optusnet.com.au