Grey Market etc.

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 06:57:35 -0700

    I went to the web-site that was listed for Yamaha in one of the =
other posts, and read what it said about their pianos that were made for =
the Japanese market, it's essentially the same as what I had originally =
wrote, so I really don't understand this post from Richard. Sure, if we =
get there before the piano is coming unglued or cracking, and if we can =
maybe sell them a DC unit (on an upright), or convince them to climate =
control the room, we can do them a service. But what about the pianos =
that we don't see until they develop real problems?
    What does this thread have to do with "tooner/techs who don't have =
the foggiest idea......"

Kevin E. Ramsey
ramsey@extremezone.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Richard Brekne=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, February 07, 2001 12:42 AM
  Subject: Re: Grey Market etc.

   =20
  "Kevin E. Ramsey" wrote:=20

        Stephen Powell, RPT wrote;      As I understand it, Yamaha dries =
the wood in their pianos to an EMC appropriate for the region that it is =
to be shipped to. For instance, a piano that is going to be shipped to =
the Southwest U.S., would probably have about a 4% moisture content. The =
problem is when a piano is meant to be used in one climate, but ends up =
in another. I used to live near a military installation, ( Twenty Nine =
Palms Marine Corp Air Combat Center, CA.), and I would see a few pianos =
that had been purchased in Okinawa, Japan, or Guam. They were nearly new =
when I saw them, but believe me, they didn't like the desert!  Kevin E. =
Ramsey=20
    ramsey@extremezone.com

  Personally, it is my personal type view that the problem is nothing =
more then complicated then the public at large, and for that matter a =
significant amount of tooner / techs havent got the foggiest idea what a =
piano really is.  For so very very many a piano is simply something that =
has all these black and white keys (preferably all of them) and makes =
this kind of noise when you push down on one of them. Oh yeah... =
sometimes you need to call some guy.... (are there girls that do this =
stuff too ???, can you really make a living at this ???) to come and =
toone it.=20

  If people knew, or cared enough to know, how to take care of an =
instrument made largely of wood, then none of this kind of stuff would =
be a significant problem. In most cases its easy enough to provide a =
decent and appropriate climate for a piano.=20
   =20
   =20

  --=20
  Richard Brekne=20