Grey Market

Kdivad@AOL.COM Kdivad@AOL.COM
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 09:35:29 EST

In a message dated 02/07/2001 7:19:59 AM Central Standard Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> Hello down there Brian! A grey market product is manufactured in the same
> place (typically) as a non-grey market item. There often are some
> differences in the final product. With Yamaha Pianos, the two types have
> wooden components that are seasoned/dried differently. Several years ago I
> drove a "grey market" Mercedes Benz automobile. It did not have the big
> funky bouncy bumpers that are required on all cars sold in the USA, it had
> the 1960s-type smaller bumpers that are OK in Europe. Same thing as pianos.

Terry, I appreciate the info on so called "grey market" pianos.  I wonder if
anyone can be more specific on the way these pianos are manufactured that
makes their reputation not so good?  I have heard a lot of rumors but little
facts.  We here at Powells Pianos do not get the opportunity to rebuild many
"grey market" pianos so my direct knowledge is limited.

Thanks
David Koelzer
DFW