Positioning Plate/Action

Wed, 7 Feb 2001 07:31:25 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Meyer Carl" <cmpiano@home.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: February 06, 2001 9:03 PM
Subject: Re: Positioning Plate/Action

> Del:  I wasn't trying to bad mouth Baldwin's plate mounting system. I
think
> it was a good idea.   The reason I didn't think it was so good for
> rebuilders was that if I understand it, after you've set the plate height,
> maybe even before you've planed the bridge, you install the plate mounting
> bolts, you can't change the height without removing ALL the plate screws,
> repositioning the plate and reinstalling ALL the screws, and compromising
by
> one screw thread.  If you are in a factory setting, if you are close
enough,
> you ship the dam thing.  A rebuilder wants to get it right.

I didn't think you were.

True, it is less adaptable to rebuilding work than to new work. But it can
still be used from time to time. Keeping in mind that it was not intended to
be used alone, but in conjunction with the vertical hitchpin. This, of
course, totally eliminates any necessity of planing the bridge in the piano.
Final bearing is set simply by adjusting the string up or down on the pin as
needed.

Much easier -- and better -- than all that plate removing.

Del