Poor man's adjustable plate screws...

Newton Hunt nhunt@optonline.net
Wed, 07 Feb 2001 12:40:32 -0500

Hi Brian,

There are two problems with using threaded rod for plate setting.

The first is that you are dealing with a machine thread designed to
hold best in metal.  The second is that you may not have enough
clearance under the plate for the nut and how are you going to adjust
it from above the plate.

The real beauty of Coleman's system is that you _can_ adjust the
bearing after the plate is in.  I chose this method because I do not
have a method of lifting out the plate by myself so for me it is a one
shot situation.

Consider the bolts that go through the soundboard to the structural
member below.  It has wood threads at the bottom and machine threads
at the top and they are adjustable from underneath the plate.  Jim
Coleman Jr.'s bolts fulfill those needs admirably.

		Newton