Hammers and Stanwood

Wed, 07 Feb 2001 23:26:30 +0100

Recent thread about Pathetic Monsters.. got me thinking about
something. In Davids reply to Terry he mentions some of his
thinking about which hammer strike weight ranges are generally
appropriate for some varying locations / instruments.

I have a roughly 2 meter long Bluthner.. not very old... but
needs new hammers. Presently it is in a fairly large classroom
that has a lot of carpeting and ceiling mounted sound absorbers.
The sound of this instrument is like well.... swallowed up. It
just doesnt project. Sustain could be a bit better as well. In a
small practice room where this was previously placed it was
overwhelmingly "big" in sound.

It has a set of 3 time reshaped standard catalouge Able heads. I
am wondering what kind of strikeweights / hammer size would be
suitable for a room that is so...... damped soundwise as a room
with lots of carpeting and the like would be.  How does one go
about "prejudging" such a choice ?

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.