Hammers and Stanwood

David Stanwood dstanwood@hotmail.com
Thu, 08 Feb 2001 01:49:50 -0000

Richard,

Can't really say much about your hammers without some data...

What have you got for Strike Weights?

C,C# samples at least please...

Had a similar situation  recently with a Steinway B.

Went from mid medium zone Strike Weights to mid full zone Strike Weights.
The sound got a little duller and some judicious hardening and shaping put
things in order.  The net result was to bring the tone up several notchs.
Bigger fuller nicer sound...broader spectrum of dynamics.

Please measure your strike weight and share your data with us.  If you send
it to me I'd be glad to graph it and put it on my web site so we can all
look at what your talking about...

I firmly believe that we ALL should be looking at strike weights and hammer
weights as a matter of course.  I am not alone in the knowledge that the
foundation of a wel set up action is setting strike weights to a specified
level an with consistency from note to note.  Not only is it worth the time
and effort but we can CHARGE for the service and our clients will NOTICE the
difference....

Looking forward to your data.

David Stanwood