Brand New topic/Referral Fees

David Love davidlovepianos@hotmail.com
Thu, 08 Feb 2001 05:03:14 -0000

There are several issues here.  First, the agent.  I'd tell him to go tune
it himself.

Referral fees are a more complicated area.  I commonly offer discounts to
the trade.  If another technician approaches me to do a job such as an
action rebuild, or restringing, for a customer of theirs I will extend a
discount of 10-15% for the work being performed.  Often the other technician
will still have a hand in the job:  they may deal directly with the
customer, pick up and deliver the action, do the final fitting or voicing,
the follow up tunings, etc..  I always approach these type of situations
with a great deal of respect for their relationship with their customer and
try to maintain a professional distance so that their relationship is not
compromised.  Such a situation benefits both parties, I get more work, the
other technician gets a discount to accomodate their time and energy, and
the customer does not pay more than they would have had they come to me
directly (assuming a basic parity in prices).  I do think it is important
that the customer does not pay a higher price because the job is being
subcontracted, otherwise the original technician may be put in a potentially
compromising position.  The other technicians I work with trust that I won't
try and "steal" their customers and are more inclined to subcontract me for
work that they either can't handle or don't have time for.

As far as straight referrals go, i.e. somebody calls me and I can't handle
the job for some reason, geographical, time, etc., and I refer them to
another technician, I don't ask for and don't expect a fee.  I have referred
calls I have gotten on many occasions to other techs for various reasons,
never once have I asked for a fee.  I refer them to techs whose work and
professional ethics I trust and I figure what goes around comes around.  I
have benefitted many times from these types of referrals and others have
benefitted from mine.  I consider it part of a level of professional
courtesy that it behooves us all to extend and maintain.

David Love