Grey Market

BH bholden@wave.co.nz
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 20:02:18 +1300

Tony

Thanks for your explanation of the term grey market.  I have =
mis-understood it.  Your Mercedes analogy explains it well.  Yes I =
realiZe that USA is the centRE of the universe.  Worse than that, many =
geography textbooks do not even show that the southern hemisphere =
exists!  But I can live with that.  Going by what you have said, I would =
imagine that most if not all new quality pianos that arrive here are =
destined for our temperate climate.  We do not get the extremes across =
our small country any where near as bad as what you do.  However, I have =
seen several "climate customiSed" (my term) pianos that have been =
brought in by people who have moved here from other countries, in =
particular, near the tropics.  Do we have grey market Mercedes Benz =
here?  I can't answer that, but we do have a tremendous amount of near =
new cars imported from Japan, that were purpose built for their roads =
and conditions.  However, these cars are a very attractive option here =
and represent excellent value for money.  Cheers,  Brian Holden,  NZ.

     =20

----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Farrell=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2001 1:53 AM
  Subject: Re: Grey Market

  Hello down there Brian! A grey market product is manufactured in the =
same place (typically) as a non-grey market item...... There often are =
some differences in the final product. Several years ago I drove a "grey =
market" Mercedes Benz automobile. It did not have the big funky bouncy =
bumpers that are required on all cars sold in the USA, it had the =
1960s-type smaller bumpers that are OK in Europe. Same thing as pianos.

  Also......some people do not realize that the USA is the center of the =
universe....... Therefore, it may well be that no grey market Yamaha =
pianos exist in New Zealand, which is perhaps why you might not be =
familiar with the term! Do you have grey market Mercedes Benz down =
there?

  Terry Farrell
  Piano Tuning & Service
  Tampa, Florida