New Wurlitzer's Dampers

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Thu, 08 Feb 2001 23:14:08 -0500

At 09:52 PM 02/08/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>List,  Can anyone enlighten me as to why every new Wurlitzer Grand I prep
>has leaking dampers, with the heads all leaning to the right in the bass?
>  A local guy here said that they do this on purpose, but I can't figure
>out why.  You can stop the bleeding by needling, kind of, but what is the
>fix, besides completely re-bending the damper wires to set them straight?
>  They are all over the place as to leaning in the bushings, some this
>way, and some that.
>Clark Sprague
>Detroit-Windsor
>Associate Member

Nothing short of rebending the wires will really fix this.

Get the head centered over the unison with the wire 90 degrees to the guide
rail
and aligned to the top flange hole. This will produce an effective damper along
with trimming the felt tips.

> >A local guy here said that they do this on purpose...

It is done_that_way because it is faster. Mass production techniques win out
over proper technical procedures.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.