Non standard Pitch

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 23:07:09 -0600

>    Hi List,   What is the opinion of the more knowledgeable list  members
>regarding tuning to non standard pitch? I've had a request to tune my
>rental C-7 to A 443 and am a little reticent to do so. Though I have tuned
>up  slightly in the past (441), I'm concerned about the effect of the
>additional  tension such an increase will have on the piano. What say you
>all?   Phil Romano
>romanop@attglobal.net

Phil, List,

It's understandable at your reluctance to do such a thing, especially since
the C7 belongs to you.  If anything were to happen, it becomes your problem.

The highest I have intentionally tuned a client's piano is +14 cents.  That
was back in August 1990 to match the organ.  The piano was a 1964 Baldwin
Grand, Model M and was already close. It stayed that way 'til February
1993, and then was brought down to A440.

Good luck in your decision making,

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731