Key thumper maintenance

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Sat, 10 Feb 2001 19:30:27 -0800

I use an upright bass hammer(with a padded ball attached, which fits into my
palm) as a key whacker also, but find that about half way thru a normal
tuning, I have to use my emory file to remove the black build up from
striking the sharp keys! If I fail to do this, at least periodically, the
black residue will stick to the white keys and look bad. This, though, is
the only set back to using my thumper, but well worth it. I'm wondering if I
apply protek, which seals the felt, or even coat the hammer with McLube, if
it will reduce or eliminate the sharp black from sticking to the felt.

Terry Peterson
Precision Piano Service
Torrance, CA