Virgil's naturaL beats

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Sat, 10 Feb 2001 21:26:32 -0700 (MST)

Hi to all:

Paul Revenko-Jones' post on Virgil's phenomena has stimulated me to
thinking that maybe Virgil really has something here. Virgil and I are
good friends and for over 20 years he has been trying to help me
understand his view of what he hears. I continue to trip over his use of
the word beatless, but now I'm thinking that there may be a sense in
which he does hear something beatless. I would like to get the HT people
involved in this discussion at this point, because there seems to be
something akin to this in the equal-beating scheme of historical tunings
which gives the impression of no beats when actually there are beats.

I have heard the HT people say that when there are proportional beatings
in a temperament chord, the beatings counteract one another. What say
you, Ed Foote, Bill Bremmer, Paul Bailey, Owen Jorgensen? Could Virgil be
saying something which you all recognize as one of the benefits of equal
beating HT's? Let's try to pursue this without the personalities issues
coming up.

Jim Coleman, Sr.