Sostenuto vs Indidivual sustain

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Sun, 11 Feb 2001 01:18:26 -0800

Richard Moody wrote:

> YES, That is exactly it.   The sustain pedal sustains too much.  Then the
> sypmathetic vibrations of all the open strings "muddies" up the sound.
> However, until an indivdual sustain pedal is heard there can't really be a
> comparison.   Perhaps it won't make that much of a difference.

I think it would make a difference - as much as the shift pedal does.
And I bet it would be especially noticeable on a Beethoven piece, good
for clearing up the growly bass passages, or the parts where you're
supposed to play a long phrase with the pedal held down - too blurry on
a modern piano. You may be on to something.

> But I think the
> real advantage will be using the sostenuto with individual sustain to get around
> that maddening aspect of not pressing the sos pedal soon enough, or too late.
> It requires too much attention which takes away from playing.

Well, like the dreaded damper spoon bender, you learn to use it with
practice. %-P

> Besides in the 21 century the piano is ready to evolve to 4 pedals.  Pique a new
> interest in the piano.     ---ric

Yes, more effects would suit me just fine.

Tom Cole