is a Bosy, or isn't it?

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sun, 11 Feb 2001 09:38:32 EST

Today I tuned a grand piano without a name, that the owner says is a
Bosendorfer. At least that is what the movers told her. They said the legs
attach just like a Bosy. She bought the piano for $600 from an antique
dealer, who didn't' know what they had. Other than what the movers said,
there is no evidence that it is a Bosy. I am hoping by giving some
descriptions, some of you "old piano experts" can help out, especially our
European friends.

The serial number is 9010, which could make it a 1885 - 1890 Bosy. The case
has been refinsihed, (poor job), so there is no name on the fall board.
Neither is there a name anywhere else. Here are some of the features of this
piano.

It has 85 note. Open faced pin block that slopes. The pin block is supported
by a steel plate underneath. Under the bass string area the plate extends in
a triangle. The plate also has a support beam under the strings right behind
where the dampers are. The bottom half of the dampers have a spring. There is
about a 2" gap between the bottom of the damper tray and the keybed. The
springs are a thin piece of wire, attached to a cord. (kind of like the
springs on Aeolian wippens). The action is old, in that the wipps are
attached to the keys, and it has rocker capstans.

Despite the open faced pin block, which shows a few hair line cracks in the
top layer, the pins are surprisingly tight. (ranging from 40 - 60 pounds).
The music rack is carved, as is the lyre, and it has massive carved legs.

That is about all I can tell you. Any ideas out there?

Willem