Key Whakker/Thumper...you boys are in trouble!

L. Verkoelen mrfixit@pineknot.com
Sun, 11 Feb 2001 07:40:52 -0800

Terry,
The pain in your arm sounds the same as what I had years ago when I was
repairing small engines. Got to the point where I had to use my left hand on
the pull rope. Spent 2 years with doctors trying to solve the problem to no
avail. Finally changed doctors and mentioned the problem. He poked around
and told me it seemed like "tennis elbow". He had me wear a little strap on
my arm just below my elbow. (These are available at most pharmacies.) The
pain dissapeared in less than a month and has never returned.
Good luck.

Louis Verkoelen
Associate Technician
Big Bear City, CA

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Farrell
Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2001 4:24 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Key Whakker/Thumper...you boys are in trouble!

Robin, I only tune about 15 pianos a week. Yes, I know I am in trouble. I am
trying to manage it. That's what all the whakker banter is about. I have
listened to others tune, and I know I don't hit the keys any harder than
others. I do believe it benefits my tuning stability to hit them firmly, so
I do. My whakking arm is real sore from my wrist to my elbow. Especially
around the elbow. It sure feels  like bruised tendons or some such thing. I
did not have an income for several years before going into piano technology.
Only now for the first time in 5 years am I producing a measurable (positive
that is) income. My wife just quit her job to go into business for herself.
I have wished the bills to stop coming for a couple months, but they don't.

I must tune most every piano that I have the opportunity to tune. There are
many (well maybe some) folks that smoke cigarettes for 50 years or more and
do not have any ill health effects. While others smoke for a few years and
get lung cancer, etc. You know there are numerous other examples, nuff said.
I don't doubt that there may be some subtle mechanical defect in my finger
whakking style. I wish I had a pro to tell me what it might be, if that is a
factor. Crap happens to some folks and not to others. I suggest that you
simply be thankful to the key whakking gods for your good health. I'm hoping
that my whakker gives my arm enough rest to heal.

"> Concert Pianists practice 8 hrs and more a day.......How many of them
> use...... Key Whakker/Thumpers?.....think about it!!"

I don't play. Not too many concert pianists with tendon trouble. Those that
do have trouble, maybe that's why they are not concert pianists. Besides, I
never claimed my key whakker sounded very good!  :-)

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com