Virgil's naturaL beats

Yardarm103669107@AOL.COM Yardarm103669107@AOL.COM
Sun, 11 Feb 2001 11:52:46 EST

Richard:
I suspect that ETD's aren't the tool to measure or see what might be going
on. A spectrum analysis of some sort might be the way. If there are indeed
groupings of predominant (formant) partials being compared in the two notes
of the octave, it would be necessary to see the entire spectrum of each
partial set to see the match up of the selected groupings. Again, I think
much depends on voicing. If the piano is voiced unevenly, i.e. partial sets
being randomly dispersed through the compass of the instrument, then even
this won't work.

If one assumes, correctly, that all partials sound simultaneously (a still
amazing phenomenon), then spectral analysis should show the formant grouping;
how well one can blend one set to the other in an octave, i.e. how well one
can make these two or three or perhaps four partials in the formant set of
one note sound "beatless" with the other set of the other note is a
psychoacoustic phenomenon of even more amazement. I still do not like the use
of the word "beat" here. I still believe that it is a category mistake, that
there is other language which would make the whole conceptual underpinning of
Virgil's argument (sic) more palatable and open to a different kind of
understanding.

Thoughts?

Paul Revenko-Jones